If you are an adult who is a citizen of Canada and living in Alberta, you can apply for the guardianship of a minor child. In order to do so, you will have to meet one of two requirements to start the eligibility vetting process:

· You are the child’s parent, but not the legal guardian.

· You are an adult who is not the child’s parent but who has been caring for the child for a consecutive period of 6 months.

· You were granted guardianship by the child’s legal guardians in a Will.

Additionally, you need to demonstrate your intention to care for and assume the responsibilities of raising the child. This intention can be demonstrated either by:

· Marriage to the child’s parent.

· Cohabitation with the child’s parent.

· Voluntary provision of financial support to the child or their parent.

If you meet all of the above conditions, please speak to Worobec Law Offices. We will advise you on how to apply for guardianship and how to successfully navigate the other processes involved.